Monday, January 31, 2011

Dream Home

Nate and I have been looking at houses (online) in the hopes that we will be able to buy a house in a year or two. I try to envision a home I could spend 10-15 years in and several important features come to mind. For one, I want a nice big dining room that can accommodate many guests (specifically my family). In our current apartment, it's impossible to have people over for dinner and I really, really miss it. It's not that you can't set up a table. It's that it's extremely tight and uncomfortable. So yes, the room has to be able to accommodate a big dining room table with several leaves.

The husband definitely wants a nice kitchen and bathroom. I figure we can make any kitchen and bathroom "nice" with a little work. Of course you want everything to be beautiful on the date you move in, but I actually think it would be kind of fun to start from scratch if all of the bones are there (and of course the necessary space). Sure it would take some money but we could eventually make it into whatever we wanted it to be.

I'm also a huge fan of fireplaces. Something about a burning fireplace makes me all warm and happy inside. Obviously, a fireplace wouldn't make or break a house but I would love one. Actually, let's be honest here. It could probably make a house for me. I don't see a white picket fence in my all American dream home, but I do see a dog and our cat curled up in front of the fireplace. Oh, and my husband and I are curled up there as well.

Finally, the yard. Now, it doesn't need to be a huge yard but again, I love my family and friends and want space for people to come over and hang out outside with good food and good beer. Oh, and a pig roast. For whatever reason, I want to do a pig roast in my back yard some day.

So in a nutshell, it'll probably be really hard to find our dream home, but that won't stop me from trying.

1 comment:

  1. I like reading your blog. I always forget about it and then you post something on fb so I go take a look and have a bunch to catch up on. I like the sound of your dream home apart from the pig roast in the yard. But I can totally see you being just like your parents and always working hard on making your house more beautiful. Good luck finding the right place!

    ReplyDelete