Tuesday, January 18, 2011

100 Year Old Wedding Cake

Back before freezing your wedding cake for a year was in vogue, my husband's ancestors apparently brought their wedding cake to an apothecary and had it chemically saved. Now, I never heard of this and frankly, I wouldn't believe it unless of course I had the box in my possession. That's right. We own chemically reduced and boxed cake from 1904 from my husband's great grandparents wedding.

100yearoldcake 002

I'm glad this tradition hasn't continued because we'd have a bunch of boxes in ziplocks sitting around. But, this little box is growing on me. How cute that these folks loved each other so much that they wanted to save a relic from their wedding for.. well.. ever.

I do have to say that I am dying to open this little box. And just as I am typing this, my husband is clamoring "you didn't open the box did you?" I ask him why and he responds "well, it hasn't been opened in a long, long time.." Yeah, I'm dying of curiosity to see what is in there after 100 years. And what if it's all a ruse and it's not wedding cake at all

Does your family pass anything weird down from generation to generation like this?

1 comment:

  1. holy crap that's crazy! But kind of cool as long as no one has to eat it.

    ReplyDelete