Sunday, February 17, 2013

Exclusively pumping for twins

I've been exclusively pumping milk for my twins since their first week in this world. I don't think I could have ever done it without my amazing hospital grade breast pump: the Medela Symphony. Link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-0240108-Symphony-Breast-Pump/dp/B001JA85K2/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1361116081&sr=1-2&keywords=medela+symphony

Now, I was lucky enough to have a bunch of money left over in my flexible spending account so I could purchase it outright. However, I know you can also rent it from hospitals. If you are planning on exclusively pumping for your baby or babies, I highly recommend that you do that.

Some tips:

1) Don't wear any tight bras or tops to help your supply. A nurse at the hospital recommended that I not wear a bra while at home to help my supply and even though I had the occasional leak, I think it really helped.

2) Drink LOTS of fluids. With how much fluid you will be removing from your body, you need to make sure you are hydrated enough to produce the milk and replenish it. Also, I suck at this, but do take a prenatal vitamin.

3) We use Medela bottles and they work really well for the babies. This is great because you can pump in them and feed out of them. However, because I am pumping so much I pump into 8 oz bottles but we use 5 oz bottles for feedings.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-87131-Breastmilk-Bottle-Set/dp/B000WPVCQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361115953&sr=8-1&keywords=medela+bottles

You can also get the playtex drop ins which also allow you to pump straight in them. You can then store them and feed right out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Drop-Ins-Premium-Nurser-Newborn/dp/B001QC3CKG/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1361115975&sr=1-4&keywords=playtex+drop+ins

4) Get an extra set of pump parts. That will minimize the constant part washing. Also, note that you can put your pump parts in the fridge after you use them for use all day long. I do this and then just run them through the dishwasher at night.

5) If you are freezing extra milk, I highly recommend the Lansinoh storage bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-20435-Breastmilk-Storage-25-Count/dp/B001EPQ1QW/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1361116160&sr=1-1&keywords=lansinoh+breastmilk+storage+bags

They aren't cheap but they are sturdy. We have only had one incident of spilled milk. I love the double closure and you can store at least up 8 oz in the bags (or at least I do).

6) The hands free bra - it's a must! I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Hands-Free-Breastpump-XS/dp/B00295MQLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1361116316&sr=1-1&keywords=medela+hands+free+pumping+bra

It allows you to tend to the babies while you pump which is key if you ever want to get some pumping sessions in while you are the sole caretaker.

And now the mental/physical tips:

1) Don't psych yourself out or question your ability to produce milk. When I start worrying about my supply, it somehow becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

2) Take your mind off of pumping. If I don't need to tend to the babies while pumping, I do something pleasant such as watching Downton Abbey (free w/ Amazon Prime), browsing Reddit, etc etc. It helps to keep my mind off of what is happening.

3) In addition to the above, when you sit to pump make sure you have a drink by your side (I get ridiculously thirsty). I also usually have a snack - cookies, chocolate, nuts.. It may not be the healthiest snack but it makes pumping more enjoyable.

4) If you notice that you aren't releasing all of your milk, make sure you massage your boobs and try to get the milk out. Otherwise, you could end up with some really unpleasant side effects. It is REALLY important to drain your boobs. When I have a hard time with this, I sometimes take a hot shower and then try to pump.

5) This one has helped me a lot. Make short term goals - to feed them breastmilk till they are 2 weeks old, then till they are one month, 3 months, etc.  Reevaluate once your meet your goals to see if you want to continue.

And finally, don't stress if you have to buy some formula. We bought some backup formula in the very beginning. We haven't had to use it yet, but if we do, I'll be the first to grab it. Good luck!

One of my first pumping successes - a 2.5 oz bottle of milk that I fed to Jacob 5 days after his birth:

hannah, jacob 142

4 comments:

  1. i can proof, you are doing great job! your home is absolutely no stress place, and kids are sooo calm and happy. keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really nice :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please post your feeding/pumping schedule?? I am debating switching from nursing to pumping and feeding, but curious how the schedule looks for others

    ReplyDelete
  4. My schedule has varied widely depending on their age. How old is your baby? In the beginning I pumped every 2-3 hours to establish supply. As time went on I was able to do every 4 hours, then 5. In the past week, knowing that I am going back to work, I have been pumping three times per day during the day and I am still able to maintain my supply for now.

    ReplyDelete