Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Birth story

I remember when my babies were so tiny that they easily fit together on the playmat. These days, it looks like they are fighting for space and a bat for a toy could be a bat in the face of the other baby.

 playmat 2.12.13

Before I forget, I wanted to post my birth story. This is my belly on Wed, Nov. 14th.
You can't imagine how badly I wanted to deliver my wonderful babies. belly 11.14.12

On Thursday Nov. 15th at 9:30 AM we went in for our scheduled induction for a planned vaginal delivery. Blood work was drawn and I was given a dose of cytotec. After an hour of monitoring, we were told we could leave and come back in 3 hours, so we went home and relaxed. When we returned to the hospital, they told me my blood test results were not good. Apparently, my platelets were extremely low so they said that there was a chance I would not be able to get an epidural (I could bleed to death) and "we could discuss other options after the next set of blood work." They also said that it was good that I was going for a vaginal delivery because a c-section would be very risky. I started crying because I was so terrified. They gave me another dose of cytotec while we waited for the labs to come back from the 2nd round. Normally I would have been able to go home again at this point but this time, they told me I couldn't leave (aside from the platelets, I had protein in my urine, high blood pressure - preeclampsia which I didn't have the entire preg!). Anyway, after the 2nd dose of cytotec (4 hours later), they started me on pitocin. Around that time we discovered that my platelet count had just reached the threshold where I could get an epidural so they immediately put it in even though I wasn't in that much pain yet. The pitocin drip went through the night and into the next day.

On Friday afternoon, I discovered I still hadn't made that much progress which was so extremely frustrating. However, in a matter of hours things picked up (I dilated from 4 to 10 in literally 2 hours) and they told me I was ready to deliver. I was wheeled to the operating room for delivery and Jacob was born after approx. 1.5 hours of pain free pushing at 9:10 PM (perfect - 6 lb 8 oz). They then said I could deliver Hannah in L&D and told me I would need to start the labor process all over again. When we got back to L&D, I started laboring with Hannah and the pain was excruciating. I told them I could feel everything and they pointed to the epidural and said everything was still going. After more time passed, they said Hannah's heart rate was going up and that they would need to use the vacuum to assist her delivery. I started crying and asked for one more push. I kid you not but I got her out in that one push. It was at that point that they discovered the epidural hadn't been hooked up! Hannah was again perfect - 6 lb 8 oz and born 2 hours after Jacob at 11:10 PM. Anyway, I was wheeled to recovery and the next morning they discovered I lost a lot of blood even though it was a vaginal delivery. I had to have a blood transfusion. The following day, they checked my levels again and they had dropped so they transfused another unit. My blood tests returned to "normal" after 3 bags of blood and we were released. I was so happy to finally leave the hospital to return home with my angels.

This photo was taken of Hannah and Jacob by the hospital photographer a couple days after birth while we were still in the hospital:

 hannahjacob

No comments:

Post a Comment