Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holland Part 4

From the time that we got to Holland, I made it known that I HAD to see some windmills. I have to admit that part of that desire came from a guidebook I got with our Holland card that had the most beautiful photographs of a spot with windmills. The guidebook said that we could get off at one of two stops on the train. On the morning that we decided to go, we went to the train station and I proudly pronounced the stop that was easier to say to the woman at the ticket counter. We purchased our tickets and got on the train. The guidebook said it would only take 15 minutes and it took approximately that long to reach our stop. We got off the train and showed the guidebook to a passerby and she pointed us in the direction she thought we should go. I asked her if it was a far walk and she said "no, maybe 2 minutes." 10 minutes later and still no windmills, I asked another passerby. This one looked at us with the look you don't want to see when asking directions and said that we were in the wrong place, the guidebook was wrong, and it would be an hours walk to get to the correct location.

Now, my husband and I don't give up that easily. We decided to walk around and explore. One of the first sights that I saw was of a building that was still in construction. I immediately recognized it as a building that I had seen online and favorited because it was so unusual. I thought it was fate that we ended up right there in front of that building. Check it out:

holland.iceland.2010 064

Here I was standing in front of a building that I had fallen in love with in photographs online and it was all completely accidental.

My husband and I kept walking and found a market that was going on. We purchased cheese (3 cheese for 5 euros which was unheard of in Amsterdam) and antipastos (also 3 for 5).

holland.iceland.2010 065

A vendor was also selling these fish bites with sauce for 3 euros. I think this was actually my favorite meal of the entire trip.

holland.iceland.2010 063

We had a complete blast and decided to head out to the windmills the following day.

This time, we got off at the correct stop (the other stop was accurate) and when I saw this, I knew we were heading in the right direction this time:

holland.iceland.2010 154

holland.iceland.2010 157

holland.iceland.2010 164

holland.iceland.2010 166

holland.iceland.2010 168

holland.iceland.2010 173

holland.iceland.2010 176

No comments:

Post a Comment