Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Art for Art's Sake

If you've been over our place, you know that we have a very, very strange collection of art. Some of you may know that I was an Art History major in college and art has always had a special place in my heart. Over the years, Nate and I have collected a bunch of paintings for our walls that have mostly come from yard sales. Today, I have decided to show you some of the paintings that adorn our walls. It was really hard to get photographs of these paintings. We probably have 50 art pieces in all, and I can make another post some other day when I have more energy.

This poor guy was sitting in its wrapping at a yard sale. The woman selling it said that her and her husband received it as a wedding present but that it didn't match their decor. I immediately fell in love with it. Mind you that the photographs don't do this piece justice. Sometimes when I am sitting on the couch across from it, I think that I can see a signature in the swirls in the art. It's really an exquisite piece out of ink:

art 12.08.10 005

This one is a signed and numbered print:

art 12.08.10 003

Painted on silk:

art 12.08.10 002

From a Church sale. A piece of folk art on wood:

art 12.08.10 006

And this one.. wow, this one. We found this piece at a church sale for $3 recently and I didn't realize what it was at the time. I just loved the inscription on the back. I'll start with that:

art 12.08.10 010

And you folks can figure out what this is:

art 12.08.10 008

I still can't get over the fact that someone donated that piece to a church and they sold it to me for $3. Unfortunately, it's pretty badly damaged with what looks like foxing but may be mold.

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with those first two! And the last one... wow. Interesting find.

    I remember when we used to make crafts together. Salt dough sculptures, weepuls, yarn dolls... That was some high quality art we had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all of those crafts too! And the little leather bags we put rocks in. Remember those?? And the wood panels.. the list goes on and on!

    ReplyDelete