Monday, February 21, 2011

Supercooled Water

On Saturday morning, Nate and I left on a day trip to explore the Cape. Since I keep a bunch of waters in the trunk for my trips to the gym, we decided to grab a couple. When Nate opened the trunk, he noticed they were still water, not ice, which surprised both of us since they have been sitting outside for days. Nate remarked that he was excited because it was probably the "coldest water ever." As he sat down in the front seat he said "it's turning to ice!" and I turned my head and before my eyes the entire thing turned to ice from the top down, with insane speed. At first, we thought no one would believe us if we told them the story. But, it turns out that others have experienced it and you can even recreate it at home. Pretty cool that it happened by accident with us though and that the conditions were just right. Check out someone else's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment