Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Peppers and tomatoes oh my

It appears that the Topsy Turvy hasn't let us down, except it forgot to tell the plants in it that they need to stop growing toward the sun and cooperate. We're going to have to put in supports to keep them upright which sort of defeats the point of the damn thing, but that's okay.

Our tomato plant, which we fondly call Little Otik, after the most disturbing movie ever, has finally started to bear tomatoes. We only got half way through the movie before we turned it off, but I have to admit that I'm curious about the end. And it's been the topic of a lot of laughs. In case you feel like spending $27, here it is:

Little Otik (Otesanek)

There are at least two tomatoes that we can see now. Here's Otik in all of his glory, amazing us every day with his growth:

Photobucket

And his tomatoes:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out all of his flowers:

Photobucket

I love this photograph because I accidentally caught my husband watering the basil plant while I was snapping shots of Otik. You can see the precision of his watering while he tries to water through the top of the Topsy Turvy through a small hole. God forbid he catch me drowning the plants. It's serious business, as you can see.

Photobucket

And my pepper plant. He's out of control.

Photobucket

Lots of flowers are appearing and this guy:

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Looking good!!!! Are you excited to eat the fruits of your hard labor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thrilled if anything actually makes it to the "good enough to eat" stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a regular size tomato plant? They get pretty big! Wait till August when you are cooking tomato sauce as fast as you can and Otik is huge! Reminds me of "Little Shop of Horrors" and "Dinner for Adele"!! Fun!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think it's a regular size tomato plant, but with 50 buds! I'd love to be forced into making sauce.

    ReplyDelete