Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Goodbye plants

When we went away this past weekend, we knew we'd come back to plants in rough shape. So we weren't surprised when we got home yesterday and saw that our once lush plants were now brown and shriveled. I started mourning our plants and then looked up and saw my eternally optimistic husband with a watering jug. A few hours later our plants were almost back to normal with just a few casualties.

Fast forward to today. It's almost 100 degrees out. I walk home from work and go immediately outside to water our 75% alive plants. Two men approach my balcony and tell me they are here to repair the balconies and that ours is next. "Can you please move all of yours plants inside?" they ask me. NO! I think about fighting them about fixing our balcony for a minute and catch myself. Falling metal chunks are never a good thing and let me tell you, our balcony is in ROUGH shape. I rip off all of the cucumber tendrils that have vined beautifully around the bars on our porch and bring the plants in one by one.

I tell my eternally optimistic husband, who is still at work, about the "situation" at home. His response? "The cucumbers are dead and now we have aphids in the apartment." Damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment